Week vacation to Costa Rica was super awesome!
Saw two HUGE mother leatherback sea turtles nesting on the beach, got to release a baby leatherback into the ocean, and saw mother Sloths with their babies.
All in all, a pretty damn good time for my first vacation outside the country. The food was great!! Costa Rican’s know how to eat!
So what was the research station like?
1) No hot water
2) Everyone uses the waste bin, no flushing tp down the toilet.
3) 80%-100% Humidity
4) Rain storms, Serious Thunder and Lightning that lasts for hours on end.
6) Blue crabs
7) Giant toads
8) Giant moths/butterflys
9) Sand fleas
10) Sun-up at 5am, pitch dark at 5pm.
11) 3 meals a day
What did we do?
1) Walked the beach to find nesting mother leatherbacks, at night, in the rain, 6-8 miles
2) Dug a 50x50x3 sand pit for the hatchery
3) Hatchery watch -keeping an eye out for the babies coming out of the sand
4) Jonathan dug a nest at the hatchery and replanted the turtle eggs
5) Beach cleanup (2 mile hike to the river mouth, giant trash bags carried back…I found a melted vial of blood, tons of Styrofoam and plastic bottles)
6) Toured a nature reserve that specializes in Butterfly exports.
The hatchery pit we helped dig out.
The nest Jonathan dug out and replanted with the turtle eggs.
Ocean view from the top of the giant wall of sand of the dug out hatchery. At the very edge you can see the change in color – that’s where the river mouth is.
Lizard dude hanging out in the poolside machinery hidden by rocks.
Sloth Mother on the left, baby on the right.
I’d totally be down to go again.