Hey there here there!
Over the past few days I’ve been trying out the IOPE XP cushions in C23 and N23. More Korean cushion foundations!
Because of the increased prevalence of South East Asian makeup that is available I feel more confident going out and trying them and knowing that I’m not going to waste my money. I have yet to find a Korean tinted product that does not live up to it’s name. I do my due diligence watching youtube reviews, reading product comments, and making sure I am purchasing through a legitimate service. I would never recommend purchasing any cosmetic product without doing those three tasks thoroughly first. I would also never recommend purchasing a cosmetic product meant for a specific trouble area that I do not have. I’m very careful to not buy acne medicine or products for dry skin types; acne meds mean it’s drying, dry skin types means it’s going to be oily, yuck yuck yuck!
Another reason I’m more willing and have been collecting makeup recently is that the price has gone way waay down. I used to buy very very limited quantities of drugstore brands and stretch their lives way past the expiration (yes I know bad, but it was mostly eyeshadows). My experiences standing in front of a giant wall of cosmetics at Walgreens have mostly been overwhelming and disappointing. I never bothered to try foundations because I knew the one yellow tone was going to turn my face mustardy brown, and I never bothered to try the higher drugstore brand items either because I didn’t want to spend $25 on a product I knew was going to make me into a cupcake. So, now in my 30th year, the world is catching up to me and my needs. Yay! Another hesitation is the fact that I got lucky and matured through my teens without acne. I have no acne scars on my face and I rarely get pimples. There was no real reason to spend time I could be sleeping in bed in the morning on putting makeup on. (mega-nerd status probably influenced this decision as well.)
So, how did I end up with two IOPE cushions? Accident. By accident, I’m telling the truth!
Ok, so really the reason is that there is this guy named Edward…and yeah, dude is a k-model. But. He is very straightforward about his reviews on Korean cosmetics which I really enjoyed more than the ones by Xteener, Meejmuse, and Morgan. I love those girls, but really Edward blows them away and is incredibly fun to watch! Granted he has access to Korean products and spa treatments because he’s actually living in South Korea, but in reality all the products are available, to anyone with internet access, and a little plastic.
These are the 4 main youtube channels that I watch:
Xteener: I’ve been following her since 2006. She was the first Asian American that made me feel like it was ok to be weird looking, use drugstore brand makeup, and overall just be happy with my inner me.
Meejmuse: I’ve only started recently watching her channel. She is an Australian Korean and I really enjoy that she likes the higher end products and is really honest about what does and does not work for her. Also she and I have the same eye shape, so I like watching her eye makeup.
MorgansBBD: Also, another youtuber that I recently discovered. I think she is Korean American. I like her reviews because she is really thorough and her skin type is very similar to mine.
I ordered IOPE XP C23 after watching Edwards huge 18 compact review. Yeah, 18. But, I figured since I don’t have acne and I don’t have regular occurring hormonal pimples I should try the N23 instead. Amazon nope’d my request to cancel, they had already packaged it and shipped it out! Ahh, Amazon Prime…how I love thee. (Legitimate sellers on Amazon, with Prime shipping are cheaper than MEMEBOX, go figure).
Each packaged arrived the same day, sealed and wrapped in the beautiful, luxurious IOPE navy blue boxes. My C23 even came with a little sample of Etude House BB cream! I’ll break it down for you with pros and cons of each together, and then my oppinion individually for N23 and C23 separately.
IOPE XP Air Cushion C23 and N23 Pros –
- Case is nice and sturdy
- Cushion sponge holding the product is dense, much denser than my Amore Pacific
- Don’t have to press down hard to get the product
- Each came with 1 refill
- Both are lightly scented which goes away after application
- Cases are identical! I have to read the bottoms to know which one I’m holding
- Applicator sponge is hard, I have to remind myself to pat gently so I do not end up with a black eye
- Requires powder to manage the dewy-ness and transfer. I live on the north side of a mountain, I have hair, it’s windy here….etc.
IOPE XP Air Cushion N23 –
- Color match is pretty good
- Does have a bit of a white cast to it, but since the color matches me so well it seems more like a gentle highlight.
IOPE XP Air Cushion C23 –
- Color match is very good
- Does not have the white cast to it that the N23 has
- Has more coverage than the N23 AND is very similar to my Amore Pacific 204!
- I do have to be careful and use a bit more measured movements when applying powder
October 3rd UPDATE ——–
A few things about these cushions as I wore them this summer:
- Do not wear sunscreen underneath and powder on top. Cake city.
- After a few wears, the amount of product coming out of the cushion is much less sticky/slick/dewy.
- N23 does tend to disappear after 5+ hours of wear (as MorganBB reported).